Saturday, January 06, 2007

Amen to Ramen



College students and former collegians everywhere are mourning today as the inventor of the Ramen noodle has been strained through the big colander of life and passed on to the other side.
At age 96
Momofuku Ando has suddenly passed away.
Yes,
drunken, hungry students owe a great debt to the man who created this cheap confection.
For those of us who have subsisted for long periods of time on his delightful concoction, we say sayonara and travel peacefully.
The salty bit of broth and bland noodles are still a comfort food for the Squirrel Queen and, as the photo of my pantry professes, are on hand at all times. Nothing beats a big bowl paired with a grilled cheese (stomach suddenly rumbles with desire).
Maybe that's what I'll ingest as a late lunch in honor of Mr. Momofuku.

Sayonara from the Squirrel Queen.

4 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How in the world did you find out who invented the ramen noodle, and how did you know he died??
I've just started the 365 day project and added you to my blogroll. I hope this is okay! Let me know if you want me to remove your blog.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Squirrel Queen said...

I found it on www.fark.com
It's an odd news aggregator
99 percent of the time I normally link to them as a source, but today I neglected to.
Thanks for adding my blog.
I'm going to check out your stuff right now.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Newscoma said...

Jeez.
It's a sad time for us poor folks.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger John H said...

i'll need to pass this on to the daughter in Peru...she subsisted pretty much solely on these noodles through her four yrs of college...

sad indeed...collander of life, sNoRt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home