Friday, January 27, 2006

Mano-a-mano with a monkey


You know, it's not just any day you have a monkey make an appearance in your working environment. And, no, I'm not referring to some human jerk who upsets the entire staff. I'm talking about an actual swing-from-its-tail, chattering monkey.
We had a woman bring a Capuchin Monkey into our office yesterday.
A diaper-wearing, sucker-licking monkey.

No, the circus wasn't traveling through town. No, not a man in a gorilla suit bringing a singing telegram. No, the zoo didn't have an escaped primate. Heck, our town doesn't even have a zoo, not even a peetting zoo for that matter, or a singing telegram service.

This woman with the monkey, from what I understand, is sort of a temporary foster care mother for this little 10-month-old Capuchin. It's not the first one she has taken into her home.

Talk about making whatever limited productivity was occurring in our office grind to a halt. Bring a cute monkey, even without roller skates or a cowboy hat and chaps, into a workplace and everyone takes a timeout from their desk.

As best I can recall in my foggy, hazy, lurid past, this is the first time I've ever touched a monkey. (Attention all of you with a penchant for double entendres, please keep your mind out of the gutter at this point.) I'm pretty sure, I would have recalled such a human-to-primate encounter. And dang it, not one person got a picture of me going mano-a-mano with the monkey, so you'll just have to take my word on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home